- 1(6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 4(28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4cup fresh basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar as needed
- 2 TBLS olive oil (3 onions, chopped fine)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the onion mixture: Heat oil in oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onions until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
For the marinara: Add tomato paste to onion mixture in pot and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in water and tomatoes and simmer over low heat until sauce is no longer watery, 45 to 60 minutes. Stir in cheese and basil and adjust seasonings with salt and sugar.